Alpha 0.6b Build 12261

Discuss Beta and Unstable builds here
Forum rules
Grab the latest unofficial Resonic builds at stuff.liqube.com and discuss them here.
Join our Discord at discord.liqube.com for updates, chats and talks.
BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Re: 11733 - Beta Test

No issues that I can find with this build.

You have no idea how refreshing it is to come across software that doesn't crash or bog down after a few hours of use. (especially in beta!)
I don't suffer from insanity... I'm still insane though.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live
Resonic: Pro

BTGbullseye wrote:You have no idea how refreshing it is to come across software that doesn't crash or bog down after a few hours of use. (especially in beta!)
8-)
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

Blackout
Beta Tester

hi Tom. I just noticed if you close up the source window on the left, you don't get a scroll bar at the bottom of the window you just lose the full drive names...
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (56.17 KiB) Viewed 867 times
unless you close it ALL THE WAY over to the left, then you get tiny little arrows on the bottom left that kinda work? weird....
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (38.02 KiB) Viewed 867 times

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Blackout wrote:hi Tom. I just noticed if you close up the source window on the left, you don't get a scroll bar at the bottom of the window you just lose the full drive names...
unless you close it ALL THE WAY over to the left, then you get tiny little arrows on the bottom left that kinda work? weird....
These frickin' trees... really.

While I intentionally omitted the horizontal scrollbar to avoid jumpy behavior (you know, when suddenly it all scrolls to the right and you always have to scroll back to the left), but that tiny useless scroll thing there on resize is indeed heaps weird. Added it to the todo.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Here's some updated resource usage metrics for you... (i5-3210m processor)

4.20-4.90% processor usage when maximized using the Musical Spectrum visualization. 42.59MB RAM usage.
0.7-1.1% processor usage when minimized using the Musical Spectrum visualization. 42.31MB RAM usage.
5.8-8% processor usage when maximized using the Logarithmic Analyzer visualization. 42.68MB RAM usage.
0.8-1.1% processor usage when minimized using the Logarithmic Analyzer visualization. 42.44MB RAM usage.
6.3-8% processor usage when maximized using the Linear Analyzer visualization. 42.79MB RAM usage.
0.7-1.1% processor usage when minimized using the Linear Analyzer visualization. 42.53MB RAM usage.

The more area of the screen taken up by the visualization, the higher the resource usage. As it is, this is the lowest resource usage in both CPU and RAM that I have ever seen for an audio player, especially with any visualization.

PS: I love the Musical Spectrum visualization. :D

Blackout
Beta Tester

looks to me like the two biggest things to finish are the waveform display and the whole soundcard drivers issue. I can see my "echo mia" drivers in the dropdown box but if I select them, music stops and resonic shows the message on the top left "unsupported format".

Plus theres no ASIO driver option...only Default or DirectSound.

I imagine this is headache territory for you but really needs to be tackled.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

BTGbullseye wrote:Here's some updated resource usage metrics for you... (i5-3210m processor)
Having such an overview every now and then is helpful, thanks.
The more area of the screen taken up by the visualization, the higher the resource usage.
Naturally, but maybe this can be optimized further.
Blackout wrote:looks to me like the two biggest things to finish are the waveform display and the whole soundcard drivers issue
Exactly, but add a few bigger internal reworks to that list.
I can see my "echo mia" drivers in the dropdown box but if I select them, music stops and resonic shows the message on the top left "unsupported format".
What's the supported overall audio and output specs on this device?
Plus theres no ASIO driver option...only Default or DirectSound.
I imagine this is headache territory for you but really needs to be tackled.
It indeed it.

Blackout
Beta Tester

does anyone know what the yellow-brown colored boxes that are next to every track in the resonic list are for? not sure if I missed something, I have always assumed they are "tick" boxes for something that is yet to have the code completed? surely they just aren't nice pretty boxes?

Andreasvb

They distinguish the quality, if it's lossless or not.
:ugeek: Windows 10 Pro x64 / Resonic Pro - Beta 0.8.9

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Blackout wrote:does anyone know what the yellow-brown colored boxes that are next to every track in the resonic list are for? not sure if I missed something, I have always assumed they are "tick" boxes for something that is yet to have the code completed? surely they just aren't nice pretty boxes?
http://forums.resonic.at/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=135

The Beta analyzes content codecs, it doesn't just go by file extension like the Alpha, e.g. a wav file that contains mpeg data would appear as lossy.

Blackout
Beta Tester

ok I get it. I see now. but a video mp4 is the same light brown color as an audio mp3?

can the "pro" version change the colors depending on a custom chosen extension? custom color squares? or (even better) custom icons? so my mp3s can be the image of a "note" and my videos can look like a film icon?

or can these squares be changed to be the Windows chosen icons for the particular media (for the pro version?)

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Everyone, please have a quick look here to see if you can/want to help out with a device list:
http://forums.resonic.at/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=297

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Blackout wrote:ok I get it. I see now. but a video mp4 is the same light brown color as an audio mp3?
Well, lossy.
I intend to allocate a fourth color for video files though, now that the Beta will have support for AVI audio (on Vista+) as well.
can the "pro" version change the colors depending on a custom chosen extension? custom color squares? or (even better) custom icons? so my mp3s can be the image of a "note" and my videos can look like a film icon? or can these squares be changed to be the Windows chosen icons for the particular media (for the pro version?)
Please, put that into requests.

I intentionally didn't go with Explorer icons, but I've been thinking about color groups for a while. Especially now that it's becoming more interesting with tags and such.

Blackout
Beta Tester

happy new year Tom and Andreas and Beta testers!

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Blackout wrote:happy new year Tom and Andreas and Beta testers!
Happy new year in advance :) Six hours to go over here.

ThomasHelzle
Pro User
First Name: Thomas
Primary DAW: Bitwig Studio

YES! May you all have a good 2015 :-)

Cheers,

Tom

Andreasvb

Happy new year, everyone!

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Happy new year 5.6 hours in advance!

elektroinside
Beta Tester
First Name: Peter
Primary DAW: Adobe Audition

Happy new year everybody! It's a good year to test resonic :D
Change is inevitable; progress is optional.

wshaper
Beta Tester
Primary DAW: Reaper, Live

Happy new year to all !

Alt
Beta Tester

Version 11733b refuses to play ALAC files. Previous builds worked fine.
Sample sent
Tom wrote:to ftp://resonic.at (user: -, pass: -)

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Alt wrote:Version 11733b refuses to play ALAC files. Previous builds worked fine.
Sample sent
Tom wrote:to ftp://resonic.at (user: -, pass: -)
Confirmed, same here. (I don't play ALAC usually, but I tested it for confirmation) File refuses to play 16 or 24-bit at 44.1-192kHz.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Confirmed + fixed. Thanks!

Alt
Beta Tester

I'm wondering, why "play/pause multimedia hotkey" doesn't work (when window is in focus) unless you set it as global hotkey.

Elfen
I'll think of more soon
First Name: Francois
Artist Handle: Eon Sounds
Primary DAW: Cubase

I've got Abnormal Termination msg if I choose outside of Resonic menu when I have Resonic opened. Like if I click a file from a windows folder instead that one in Resonic.

Martin
I know my Resonics, all of them!
First Name: Martin

Elfen wrote:I've got Abnormal Termination msg if I choose outside of Resonic menu when I have Resonic opened. Like if I click a file from a windows folder instead that one in Resonic.
Thanks, will be fixed in the next build.

Blackout
Beta Tester

Hi Tom...i had an annoying issue today, where I was listening to music in Resonic and then I clicked off resonic onto Total Commander browser as the music continued to play and the speed of the music changed. it sped up. and stayed sped up. sounded like going from 33rpm to about 40rpm (in vinyl turntable terms). and re-focusing back onto resonic would not return the speed....I had to do a reboot?

JamesEW
Beta Tester

Not been able to break latest beta resonic-test-141228-11733b in W7 64-bit

It seems responsive and no crashes to report playing mp3s, aac and wav files.
I'm not sure where there is an "audio device" drop down menu as someone mentioned this?

I like the add recursively feature as using this on top level music folder allows me to randomly play from all my music but if you close resonic and open again, it only resumes the song from its root folder and not all the folders you have added. I think this may be by design and i'm using "recursively" the wrong way or to cheat.

Impressive how quick it can let me play randomly from top level of a music drive of 200+gb of files! then hit file name header to sort A-Z or whatever i fancy. There isn't any limit to how many files can be added this way right? This is why i love resonic as a general music player and sample library player.

Noticed a few cosmetic glitches or maybe they are design decisions or not yet fully implemented the way you intend. Text hover over buttons seems further away from buttons (maybe its me being picky. sorry) They appear over the file or directory lists but perhaps they could be right under buttons.

Is the play button supossed to not be highlighted when you toggle pause, as play button is always green and pause becomes green when engaged.

Slight glitchy behaviour when right clicking to choose column headers where the arrows cut off some text of column heading items e.g. size, length etc. The black arrow icon sort of breaks up a bit as you scroll up or down.

Anything specific i should focus on testing in this build?

AB, volume and crossfade all seem to be ok. Look forward to waveform full implementation testing.

JamesEW
Beta Tester

Martin wrote:
Elfen wrote:I've got Abnormal Termination msg if I choose outside of Resonic menu when I have Resonic opened. Like if I click a file from a windows folder instead that one in Resonic.
Thanks, will be fixed in the next build.
Yeh i recreated this. It doesnt crash resonic despite windows reporting it has stopped working. Could you remove the "obsolete test build messages" as this slows down launching it for me and they appear if you cue files from win explorer (creating abnormal message too). That is if you don't mind. Maybe a similar message could appear in "about resonic" or top right of window.

JamesEW
Beta Tester

So back to recursively feature. So when I add my root folder and then organise by file name, giving me an a-z of every music file for which i play randomly, this works and clicking the play next track will go to next random track. Works like a play all function.

I tried the shortcut ctrl and up or down to play next track, but this navigates down one folder so you lose what was added recusively and the browser now shows / plays only what is in that selected folder. I assume playlist functions in newer builds will expand on this stuff.

Is there another play next shortcut as the function appears to work by pressing the actual transport button?

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Blackout wrote:Hi Tom...i had an annoying issue today, where I was listening to music in Resonic and then I clicked off resonic onto Total Commander browser as the music continued to play and the speed of the music changed. it sped up. and stayed sped up. sounded like going from 33rpm to about 40rpm (in vinyl turntable terms). and re-focusing back onto resonic would not return the speed....I had to do a reboot?
Does it always happen the same way? Do you maybe have a TC audio plugin installed that alters the default sound device when TC is activated?

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

First off, long time no build, but the waveform is progressing and in parallel there's some essential and related Pro stuff being developed. It's all new optimized code and there's little left of the Alpha code.
JamesEW wrote:Not been able to break latest beta resonic-test-141228-11733b in W7 64-bit
It seems responsive and no crashes to report playing mp3s, aac and wav files.
I'm not sure where there is an "audio device" drop down menu as someone mentioned this?
Good to hear that. The drop down is in the preferences dialog, CTRL-P, but it's not done yet.
I like the add recursively feature as using this on top level music folder allows me to randomly play from all my music but if you close resonic and open again, it only resumes the song from its root folder and not all the folders you have added. I think this may be by design and i'm using "recursively" the wrong way or to cheat.
Yeah, well, will have to think about that more carefully, but for now this will be a quick solution to get the recursive add feature in. Playlists will solve that problem anyways, I guess.
Impressive how quick it can let me play randomly from top level of a music drive of 200+gb of files! then hit file name header to sort A-Z or whatever i fancy. There isn't any limit to how many files can be added this way right?
Hehe, no limit whatsoever, except memory.
Text hover over buttons seems further away from buttons. They appear over the file or directory lists but perhaps they could be right under buttons.
I'm afraid I can't follow this one.
Is the play button supossed to not be highlighted when you toggle pause, as play button is always green and pause becomes green when engaged.
It's common in DAW software, but I guess I'll add in a single-button (play/pause) option after all for the Player version, then disable it by default for the Pro version.
Slight glitchy behaviour when right clicking to choose column headers where the arrows cut off some text of column heading items e.g. size, length etc. The black arrow icon sort of breaks up a bit as you scroll up or down.
Can you please post screenshots?
Anything specific i should focus on testing in this build?
Overall behavior / glitches / function of the present features. All features from Alpha 999 should be implemented properly in the Beta.
Look forward to waveform full implementation testing.
This is indeed one of the bigger jobs so far, but getting there.
Could you remove the "obsolete test build messages" as this slows down launching it for me and they appear if you cue files from win explorer (creating abnormal message too). That is if you don't mind. Maybe a similar message could appear in "about resonic" or top right of window.
I intentionally put there nags in as these builds are not production versions. I didn't expect the waveform rework to take _that_ long to be honest, but I can up the duration before the nags appear. After a month old builds will stop working, I'll remove that limitation in future builds.
JamesEW wrote:Is there another play next shortcut as the function appears to work by pressing the actual transport button?
Currently there is none. Which keys would you suggest? What's the default shortcuts in other players?

Blackout
Beta Tester

Tom wrote:
Blackout wrote:Hi Tom...i had an annoying issue today, where I was listening to music in Resonic and then I clicked off resonic onto Total Commander browser as the music continued to play and the speed of the music changed. it sped up. and stayed sped up. sounded like going from 33rpm to about 40rpm (in vinyl turntable terms). and re-focusing back onto resonic would not return the speed....I had to do a reboot?
Does it always happen the same way? Do you maybe have a TC audio plugin installed that alters the default sound device when TC is activated?
its possible I deleted something in TC and the "dong" delete sound played in TC causing the Resonic speed to change. but because the track playing in Resonic was LOUD I didn't really hear the "dong" sound over it. im not exactly sure. but it certainly seems like a fight for the sound driver took place...im not sure if this is "normal" or a bug in Resonic. but it was quite annoying and only a reboot could fix it

JamesEW
Beta Tester

Yeah, well, will have to think about that more carefully, but for now this will be a quick solution to get the recursive add feature in. Playlists will solve that problem anyways, I guess.

Is there an easy way to dump all the files added recursively to a .txt document or similar that could be bookmarked? That way when Resonic closes and reopens, it can recall all the files indexed in this .txt document and resume where the user left off. I guess this is a playlist feature but would make the recursively feature really neat until further development of expanded playlists.
Text hover over buttons seems further away from buttons. They appear over the file or directory lists but perhaps they could be right under buttons.
I'm afraid I can't follow this one.

Its me being picky and looking for things - just that the button rollover yellow text e.g. "pause or unpause playback" could be placed nearer to the buttons themselves (higher up) but i'm sure its fine the way it is. Can't post screenshots as it won't capture the rollover action. Maybe its my resolution settings effecting this.
Can you please post screenshots?

posted.
JamesEW wrote:Is there another play next shortcut as the function appears to work by pressing the actual transport button?
Currently there is none. Which keys would you suggest? What's the default shortcuts in other players?[/quote]

Could use arrows < > with or without a modifier, or N (next) P (previous) with or without modifiers.
Attachments
2015-01-28 17_50_25-Greenshot.png
2015-01-28 17_50_28-Greenshot.png

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

resonic-test-150212-11955b

First off, please excuse the test build expiration, I forgot to extend the period.
It is now at three months, which should be more than sufficient between updates, which are getting smaller and more frequent now that the worst parts are done.
The main reason for expiration is to prevent old test builds from being in use.

But let's get to it: these last few weeks (and there I was expecting a week at most again) mostly went into the waveform analysis and everything related to it. It wasn't easy to come up with a good new system that's as fast as the Alpha (which was much simpler code, that cannot be built upon though) and adds a lot of detail on top of that, but I think we tackled that task :)

The new waveform also fixes display errors with short files, especially useful for samples.

The beta testing objective for this build is to make sure the waveform behaves as expected. Please report any weird behavior with both the wave and the rest of the application.

Waveform styles and playback position are not implemented yet.

Have a look at the attached screenshot for some other fixes.
Attachments
snap150212020527.png

JamesEW
Beta Tester

Re: 11955 - Beta Test

Wicked. Downloaded. I'll give this a good look over the week.

audionaut
I'll think of more soon

Hi Tom!!! Keep up the good work!! ;)

ThomasHelzle
Pro User
First Name: Thomas
Primary DAW: Bitwig Studio

Great - thanks a lot!!! :-)

Cheers,

Tom

pumafred
Really likes it here

Thanks! I will try it during the week.

alexsaloid
Supporter
First Name: Alexander
Primary DAW: Cubase 8

Well done Tom!

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Will test ASAP. (no time over the next few days)

Blackout
Beta Tester

ok intital testing...did the audio always used to fade off when you hit stop? I remember it stopping flat....makes it feel a bit less responsive overall because of this?

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

resonic-test-150214-12034b

Continuation of the previous build, several waveform changes and fixes as well as improved folder switching performance, which also reduces large recursive scan blocking issues (thx Francois!).

Resonic .exe and .dll files are now digitally signed to certify their authenticity.
Attachments
snap150214052211.png

Blackout
Beta Tester

im no longer getting the antivirus scan alert which is good...cursor position...yay!!!!

Edit: cursor position is over 1cm "out" on the screen for a 7 minute track. I got a big avicii track on the screen right now, with several breakdowns, and the visual cursor is not lining up with the audio when it drops into a breakdown...

is there a cache I need to clear to possibly fix this? video is attached (video is of another track, same problem)

cheers,
Blackout
Attachments
IMG4809.rar
(4.11 MiB) Downloaded 21 times

Andreasvb

Re: 12034 - Beta Test

When unpausing, the waveform isn't shaded anymore until you hover the mouse over it to get it back.

Thanks for the update, will try some more.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

I'd guess it's a variable-bitrate mp3?

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Andreasvb wrote:When unpausing, the waveform isn't shaded anymore until you hover the mouse over it to get it back.
Fixed.

pumafred
Really likes it here

Working very nicely here. Thanks!

Blackout
Beta Tester

Tom wrote:I'd guess it's a variable-bitrate mp3?
no 128k fixed...

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio