Alpha 0.6b Build 12261

Discuss Beta and Unstable builds here
Forum rules
Grab the latest unofficial Resonic builds at stuff.liqube.com and discuss them here.
Join our Discord at discord.liqube.com for updates, chats and talks.
Blackout
Beta Tester

Re: 12102 - Beta Test

realtime file list monitoring (essentially "refresh" being hit over and over per second) would be a big one to get working Tom...would fix a lot of problems....

Alt
Beta Tester

I guess there also should be seperate options not to show video formats (especially for avi; mp4 are also not always needed, we have ffmpeg to extract audio after all :) ).

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Alt wrote:I guess there also should be seperate options not to show video formats (especially for avi; mp4 are also not always needed, we have ffmpeg to extract audio after all :) ).
+1
I don't suffer from insanity... I'm still insane though.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live
Resonic: Pro

Re: 11733 - Beta Test

resonic-test-150309-12180b

Here's an intermediate build for you to try out. We're getting really close to a release now, couple of things left to do.
The whole "Waveform style" menu has been updated.

Do not update your previous version with this, it might not work.
Attachments
snap150310003926.png
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Re: 12180 - Beta Test

No issues that I can find.

pumafred
Really likes it here

"Do not update your previous version with this, it might not work."

Sorry for the basic question, but what does this mean?

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

pumafred wrote:"Do not update your previous version with this, it might not work."

Sorry for the basic question, but what does this mean?
It means don't use it to overwrite the previous installs of Resonic as it could have serious conflicts arise. Just unzip to it's own folder and use it from there.

mrfox
Beta Tester

Seems to be great, everything works fine for me.

sergeyapanin
Getting the hang of it

Agree, everything so far so good.
(Tested on Win7x32 and Win7x64)

Alt
Beta Tester

I have problem same as with previous build.
Ran fresh copy, navigated to specific drive started playing song on the root, switched to another, then clicked on "Music" folder (with 110 main sub-folders and generally 697 sub-folders), 2 tracks on the root revealed on the right side but that 110 sub-folders didn't appear on folder tree. Instead I just got infinite "Scanning..." message and player hanged upon closing.
P.S. Sadly, it's not always reproducible...

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Alt wrote:I have problem same as with previous build.
Ran fresh copy, navigated to specific drive started playing song on the root, switched to another, then clicked on "Music" folder (with 110 main sub-folders and generally 697 sub-folders), 2 tracks on the root revealed on the right side but that 110 sub-folders didn't appear on folder tree. Instead I just got infinite "Scanning..." message and player hanged upon closing.
P.S. Sadly, it's not always reproducible...
Running the latest build? Please let me know if it happens again, and maybe you can find out a way to reproduce it. That sure would help a lot.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

Blackout
Beta Tester

no problems here. Alt...is the drive you are searching on an SSD perchance? ive had that problem before (not in resonic) when doing lots of fast scanning searches on an SSD...it seemed to just confuse it and the same happened as you describe. used to happen fairly regularly but randomly. turned out it was the SSD cache memory that was dying...just an idea

Alt
Beta Tester

@ Tom
Yes, the latest, with fresh profile.
I remember seeing that message starting from the first Beta but only for 1-2 seconds, then folders loaded. Now (after player started to use RAM for settings, I guess) that loading could just freeze.
@ Blackout
No, it's regular old HDD I'm using since 2007.

StevieBoy
Supporter

Hi everyone, I'm Steve, been testing this a fair bit this morning as I only get pockets of time to do it I'll leave a brief message what I have found in this beta

A lot to go through so excuse me if I've repeated, everything seems marvellous so far, so quick, lightning in fact, this sort of thing needs licencing to daws or sampler vst/rompler developers imo- it should be how things work.

Using Win 7 x64 pro & the latest 12180 beta

Noticed that when you delete a sample & it greys out in the list, if you sort a different column view before refreshing - the dimmed samples are not ones that have been deleted, but look as if they have (I'm guessing this is as they are keeping a numerical place in the list behind the scenes)

It's no biggie if you know, but did catch me unawares

For instance

I delete 808_drum_very_big_blah.wav & their friend below
1.png
If I reorder the column by for instance, ascending length this time without refreshing

it looks like
2.png
bassdrum long & bassdrum fat are deleted when they actually are not

I gather this could be rectified with a simple forced refresh on column sort, or if that doesn't produce desired behaviour some other work around that isn't based on the samples numerical place in the list (if in fact that is how it works to keep place)

I'm no programmer though, so I won't go down that rabbit hole.

Also has the tag viewing changed? (I have some wavs id3 chunk tagged with dbpoweramp as album, they show in the alpha but not in the beta version)

You can see in the prev images that the tags don't show, whereas in the alpha image below vvv
3.png
Sorry if these are known or have been brought up already, I haven't had the time to read through.

Cheers
Steve

Edit (I seem to have broken my post layout with the long images, sorry)

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Hey Steve, good to have you here!
StevieBoy wrote:Noticed that when you delete a sample & it greys out in the list, if you sort a different column view before refreshing - the dimmed samples are not ones that have been deleted, but look as if they have (I'm guessing this is as they are keeping a numerical place in the list behind the scenes)
Good find! While this is still a bug the graying-out is a hack for the first Beta - until full folder monitoring is implemented, which is next up on the list. I'm afraid we'll have to keep the bug for the release.
Also has the tag viewing changed? (I have some wavs id3 chunk tagged with dbpoweramp as album, they show in the alpha but not in the beta version)
The meta code is all new, yes. But thanks for reminding me, I'll set up a todo item for ID3-in-wav support. Expect this in one of the first test builds after the first Beta release though, it won't make it into the first Beta.
Sorry if these are known or have been brought up already, I haven't had the time to read through.
That's fine, whatever you find, just nag.
Edit (I seem to have broken my post layout with the long images, sorry)
No prob at all. You don't have to upload images externally, just attach them to your post, you can also place them inline that way. Easier for you, they are hosted here, and they fit into the window.

StevieBoy
Supporter

Cheers Tom, I just realised you are also behind the DTC I downloaded the other day to replace an old html/js bpm/delay calc I used a few years back, happy to be here & help as much as I can. as I say I intend to use this quite a bit, ongoing too as sometimes I'll record a huge amount of things that need whittling down to the best bits, so I'll keep putting it through it's paces.

Fair re the greying out, as I know about it it doesn't bother me, I'll just refresh first, maybe should be documented that this happens & will change. hopefully in future the folder monitoring doesn't slow things down any as I'm amazed how instant even a refresh is!

with regard to the tagging, I don't personally use a lot of those tags for display purposes, they help me keep in mind a source wherever I've sampled or made something myself, sometime I will display them in a folder in windows under group as album & it will sort them all into separate sources if I should ever need to deal with them together, or have a folder with a lots of different sourced things in.

(edited this a bit when I had the time)

Interesting enough the artist tag shows so does the comments, & title in wav in the beta I think so I might bulk retag a few wavs to both of those get around that for the time being - not that I always use actual album information I just use it for comments that are easily grouped in windows... so it's probably better for me to use the comments field

I didn't know windows showed them or it didn't used to, but just checked & it does on win 7 at least, maybe I'm thinking back to xp

edit 2 : just retagged 13k files in about 3 mins with the remapping feature in dbpoweramps batch converter from album to to "comments" so I'm done with that for my wav files, I'll just change my convention. Although I can see past my own uses & other people might still want it to show...

I also understand wav has limited fields for tagging though & they are not always commonly used (WAVE LIST & Wave ID3v2, BExt etc) & some applications don't always show certain fields you can tag things with. I wasn't even aware you could tag things until a while back past what was in the RIFF info of a wav file.

Nice one on the images, I did look but was rushing a little due to time constraints so didn't use the full editor

Cheers

Steve
Last edited by StevieBoy on March 12th, 2015, 18:04, edited 6 times in total.

ThomasHelzle
Pro User
First Name: Thomas
Primary DAW: Bitwig Studio

Great work on the waveforms.
The only area where they look a bit weird is with single-cycle waveforms:
SingleCycleWaveform_Resonic.jpg
I love Resonic to preview those, it loops them quite smoothly so one can get an idea how they would sound as an oscillator :-)

Cheers,

Tom

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

ThomasHelzle wrote:The only area where they look a bit weird is with single-cycle waveforms:
Agree, but that's a tricky part. We went with the performance solution on this. With the Pro version the waveform resolution will be much higher.

Besides, you seem to have turned off the "Fill waveform halves" style option ("Waveform styles").
I love Resonic to preview those, it loops them quite smoothly so one can get an idea how they would sound as an oscillator :-)
That's the idea behind that feature :) I needed a tool suitable for previewing synthesizer wave tables, but you figure I never found one. Loading up wave tables individually in a synth plugin is a tedious task.

Besides, this is especially useful with the Pro's pitch controls, later with MIDI control.

StevieBoy
Supporter

Probably known but I can select a bunch of files by text string but don't seem to be able to delete the selected files, maybe it's a dummy feature that is to be implemented later

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

StevieBoy wrote:Probably known but I can select a bunch of files by text string but don't seem to be able to delete the selected files, maybe it's a dummy feature that is to be implemented later
Umm, yes. Tried that again, only the first file is deleted when multiple files are selected.

This is a bug, noted. thx

StevieBoy
Supporter

You're welcome, just posting things as I come across them :)

had another 1hr -1.5hrs work on some samples today

JamesEW
Beta Tester

Testing latest build...first impressions

Tried every waveform and style.. All working well and fast. I like the solid waveform over gradient best. just my opinion.

I notice that when A-B looping, there is no visual feedback i.e a highlighted selection of the waveform showing where the loop start and end points are. Might be useful in the future.

The cosmetic glitch I posted screens of in the previous build when you right click a column header, browse the down arrow and then browse the up arrow, still distorts the names (file name, order, Base name, etc)

It seems really stable and fast, especially as I use recursively alot to scan all my music drive and play in random.
It seems to close and open and resume playback extremly quickly. Maybe I didn't notice this as much in previous builds.

I think i've overlooked how useful the log freq analysier waveform is. I'm excited about the pro version features!

Once the final beta is out, what is likely to be implemented in near-future test builds for basic version?

I still look forward to playlists, or a way to resume playback of recursively added files / folders, as you lose this when you close and reopen Resonic. I understand this is a short term fix to allow random playback of multiple folders which I appreciate because it means i don't have to use other media players now.

I do like the option of playing video file audio even if others wanted to exlude them while browsing (if I understood correctly)

Its quite hard finding bugs which must me a good sign.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

JamesEW wrote:I notice that when A-B looping, there is no visual feedback i.e a highlighted selection of the waveform showing where the loop start and end points are. Might be useful in the future.
Noted, I almost overlooked it.
The cosmetic glitch I posted screens of in the previous build when you right click a column header, browse the down arrow and then browse the up arrow, still distorts the names (file name, order, Base name, etc)
I'm afraid this won't be fixed too soon. It's a problem with popup menus and the GUI framework Resonic is using. Non-standard Windows UI scales, e.g. 150% or 200%, will cause them to break. I'll keep looking for a workaround though, it's on the todo list now.
Once the final beta is out, what is likely to be implemented in near-future test builds for basic version?
Once Beta 1 (aka 0.6b) is out the focus will shift over to Resonic Pro for a while. In parallel there'll be more work on the basics, including playlists, file list monitoring (which is probably #1 on the list) and improved file handling.

Updates will be more frequent, that's for sure, now that a decent deployment system for new builds is in place. There'll be a new Windows Installer for the setup version (which is really recommended...) I'm currently working on.
I still look forward to playlists, or a way to resume playback of recursively added files / folders, as you lose this when you close and reopen Resonic. I understand this is a short term fix to allow random playback of multiple folders which I appreciate because it means i don't have to use other media players now.
I think this'll be easier with playlists...
I do like the option of playing video file audio even if others wanted to exlude them while browsing (if I understood correctly)
I get a lot positive feedback from ppl creating YouTube videos on that one. File format exclusion will follow later though, by extension.
Its quite hard finding bugs which must me a good sign.
Indeed :)

JamesEW
Beta Tester

Sounds good.

Yeh video file exclusion is good to have as an option as it pleases everyone then but its neat that resonic treats music files and video files (audio) in the same way. Not everyone wants to extract audio streams with other software.

Maybe Pro could let you highlight a section from a video audio stream and save it to audio .wav - useful for sampling a rare bird noise from a david attenborough documentary :-)

I guess lots of us are using this either or both as a sample library manager and music player and it seems to offer everything to both.

The cosmetic menu glitch really isn't an issue for me but i thought its best to mention it. I have windows set to native resolution and scales to a custom dpi setting. Others may not do this.

I look forward to playlists but for me personaly, the recursively does what I want, except remember what i've added once i close and reopen.

I hope Resonic can keep this function simple - literally just add all and play random from a M:\ local disk drive of music files, without getting complicated and dealing with setting up and managing playlists, even though that will be cool too.
Will be interesting to see how this is implemented. I have faith.

Any word on a keyboard shortcut for play next and play previous track?

Sorry to go into feature suggestion territory here as i know there is a thread for this.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

JamesEW wrote:Maybe Pro could let you highlight a section from a video audio stream and save it to audio .wav - useful for sampling a rare bird noise from a david attenborough documentary :-)
Hehe, but yeah, that'll be a major Pro feature. Actually the one that started the Resonic project. For now, let's call it audio extraction.
The cosmetic menu glitch really isn't an issue for me but i thought its best to mention it. I have windows set to native resolution and scales to a custom dpi setting. Others may not do this.
Lots of applications have problems with non-standard scale settings / are not really DPI-aware. Resonic so far is semi DPI-aware.
Any word on a keyboard shortcut for play next and play previous track?
I still have no good idea which keys to reserve for that. Combos maybe. New suggestions?

JamesEW
Beta Tester

I think keys P and N are logicial to me for previous and next, or with a modifier key so ctrl+p or ctrl+n
I'd prefer without a modifier personaly. Maybe put it to the vote on here?

It would make a great improvement to usability for me.

Alt
Beta Tester

Column 'length' shows wrong value (it's correct in header, file plays fully, visualization is fine).
WEIRD_LENGTH.jpg
WEIRD_LENGTH.jpg (23.16 KiB) Viewed 418 times
Uploaded file 'Поле.mp3'

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

@Alt: Happens because both values come from different places, no need to go into detail. It's a small price to pay for much improved performance.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

resonic-test-150321-12261b

This is one of the last builds, or maybe even the last one, before you'll get to try the Beta release candidate w/ full setup!

Quite a bit has been fine-tuned, fixed, updated.
Do not update your previous version with this, it might not work.

Whoever requested the combined play/pause buttons, they are a reality now ;)

Just try it and report your findings!
Attachments
snap150321020414.png

StevieBoy
Supporter

Re: 12261 - Beta Test

Lovely, just got the notification - will be able to test this later this evening.

been using the previous build for a while & I must say it's pretty difficult to find much wrong

had it crash once but couldn't replicate, I was skimming through a large amount of
large & small wav files & I quickly sorted the columns while holding the down cursor, wasn't able to replicate this so could have been external issues.

StevieBoy
Supporter

Re: 12261 - Beta Test

Something I can't put my finger on has happened, resonic wont see some folders at all, at first I could not see some sub folders as the tree would not expand, so I tried a few things, one being I moved the subfolders up a level & resonic just did not see them at all, I'm probably doing something really wrong here but I'm sat scratching my head as to why

Resonic alpha found them, now I can't get both betas to see them.

being honest I don't know if I could see them before in the prev beta as I made these folders in explorer or copied them across from an archive folder, bit hazy late nights.

I made some new folders containing some new (same named) subfolders & all the files in those files & that worked

I may have unzipped the folder over the previous beta so I deleted the folder & started again, have I cocked up some external references or something?, isn't it all self contained so they don't interefere with each other (although I read your note on installing to somewhere different, I meant to extract to / not extract here to the current directory, I think I broke it.

maybe there is something "wrong" with the folders, some permissions in fact couldn't find anything related by looking around

edit, removed everything again & restarted again, it's got to be something to do with those folders

edit 2 : seems like the drive I pulled them from originally might have had something set oddly in regards to the folders, works fine in all other programs, viewers though.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Re: Beta 0.6 Build 12261