Alpha 0.6.2b

Discuss Beta and Unstable builds here
Forum rules
Grab the latest unofficial Resonic builds at stuff.liqube.com and discuss them here.
Join our Discord at discord.liqube.com for updates, chats and talks.
Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Alpha 0.6.2b

Pre-release with sound card switching for you to try.

Code: Select all

+ Sound card selection in preferences dialog.
   Audio output driver and sample rate can now be changed.
   Changes take effect on track change.
+ Resonic now creates mini dumps when it crashes.
   You are presented the option to open up your email application
    and send us a bug report to help us fix the bug that caused the crash.

* Advance mode button is highlighted when not playing sequentially

! Fixed occasional line jitter when moving mouse over waveform
Attachment removed, 0.6.2b released
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Re: 0.6.2b

Output sample rate makes an audible difference going from 44.1kHz to 96kHz, even on 44.1kHz audio... Don't worry about it being a problem, my system has a few issues with audio getting sent to the soundcard at under 48kHz. (typically causes a bit of a muddying of the sound, and a lower dynamic range)
I don't suffer from insanity... I'm still insane though.

Aethr
Getting the hang of it
First Name: Steven
Artist Handle: ÆTHR
Primary DAW: Reaper, Audition, Sound Forge

Quick hi Tom, thanks for allowing me to test the beta version. Will start testing it now & post in a few days.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

@BTGbullseye: Have the same issues here with the onboard sound. Really horrible, but compared to the studio card (not sample rate, which is doing little to nothing).

@Aethr: Welcome!
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

Alt
Beta Tester

Still have the problem with getting back to lower sample rate, probably this needs to be fixed not only for XP's DirectSound but also for ASIO and WASAPI.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Alt wrote:Still have the problem with getting back to lower sample rate
According to the latest BASS docs: "with WDM drivers (on Windows XP/2000/Me/98SE), XP the output format is automatically set depending on the format of what is played and what the device supports"
This behavior cannot be altered if I understand correctly.
probably this needs to be fixed not only for XP's DirectSound but also for ASIO and WASAPI.
ASIO and WASAPI are not related at all and need custom resampling.

For Vista and up: "The output format is determined by the user's choice in the Sound control panel."
I'll remove the sample rate selection from the release until ASIO or WASAPI is fully supported as the sample rate setting currently only affects MOD and MIDI rendering.

Just found:
"The only way to prevent a Creative Labs X-Fi based card or Asus Xonar card from resampling all incoming audio is to use ASIO and the driver that came with the card. With these cards, WASAPI exclusive will not change the master clock of the card."

DS seems to always change the card's master clock.

An important post regarding XP: http://forums.resonic.at/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=328

Alt
Beta Tester

Tom wrote:
Alt wrote:Still have the problem with getting back to lower sample rate
According to the latest BASS docs: "with WDM drivers (on Windows XP/2000/Me/98SE), XP the output format is automatically set depending on the format of what is played and what the device supports"
Yes, it's correct but the problem is that Resonic can't set lower quality format (e.g. 44.1 over 48 KHz).
It's possible with DirectSound output on another players (xmplay, 1by1, foobar2000 etc) unless another DirectSound instance "restrict" that change. Example: while playing 44.1 kHz file in xmplay, in parallel I'm starting MPC-HC with movie (48 KHz) and at the same time starting browser with YT video (44.1 KHz). Sample rate is set to 48 KHz. Then closing MPC-HC, restarting xmplay but SR is still 48 KHz. Why? Probably because DS is "occupied" by browser (right after closing browser, xmplay is able to set 44.1 SR even without restart).
Similar behavior with Resonic (except the fact that it works alone), for some reason it 'blocks' setting DS output to lower SR until restart. And again, at startup player always sets SR to 44.1 so it's impossible to play 8-32 KHz files without resampling (not a problem for me but may be useful for someone).

sergeyapanin
Getting the hang of it

Hi Tom! Check this gif please:
Volume chenge is working fine but visualisation is shown only when you move mouse into volume slider area.
Attachments
REsonic.gif

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

sergeyapanin wrote:Hi Tom! Check this gif please:
Volume chenge is working fine but visualisation is shown only when you move mouse into volume slider area.
Ah, thanks. Gonna fix that right away, it's missing a repaint.

JamesEW
Beta Tester

Sorry to be a pain here as I have been out of the resonic loop for several weeks now. Congradulations on getting the Beta out.

Can I install this beta to use on the regular, while still trying new test versions / release candidates without them interfering with the stable Beta installed. Are the new test versions going to require installing too from now on, or self contained portable test versions? I ask this only because i remember an announcement that all new versions would be installed and updated automatically.

Apologies if this has been covered already.

Aethr
Getting the hang of it

Re: Beta Testing Notes [new testers please read]

Hi Tom, came across a few problems concerning sound drivers yesterday.
I was running reaper with ASIO (asio4all driver) as the audio device.
When I opened Resonic it wouldn't playback the audio files, saying "Error' in red.
However it was still able to drag & drop files into the Reaper timeline.
I tried switching the audio drivers in Reaper, to Direct Sound, re-opened Resonic & it was fine.
Is there a way to be able to choose which audio driver is used by Resonic ?

I have to use ASIO in Reaper due to crackling & clicking whilst doing long audio files.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Aethr wrote:Hi Tom, came across a few problems concerning sound drivers yesterday.
I was running reaper with ASIO (asio4all driver) as the audio device.
When I opened Resonic it wouldn't playback the audio files, saying "Error' in red.
However it was still able to drag & drop files into the Reaper timeline.
I tried switching the audio drivers in Reaper, to Direct Sound, re-opened Resonic & it was fine.
Is there a way to be able to choose which audio driver is used by Resonic ?

I have to use ASIO in Reaper due to crackling & clicking whilst doing long audio files.
I've moved your post.

ASIO4ALL takes over devices, i.e. you can't use them in other apps at the same time.

0.6.2 lets you pick the output device.

wshaper
Beta Tester
Primary DAW: Reaper, Live

Tom wrote:0.6.2 lets you pick the output device.
Oh, great !

Aethr
Getting the hang of it

Ok, thanks. But what device does Resonic 0.6.2b use ? As I only see DirectSound in output & usually I get a full list of audio devices in audio programs.

wshaper
Beta Tester
Primary DAW: Reaper, Live

Tom wrote:Pre-release with sound card switching for you to try.

+ Sound card selection in preferences dialog.
   Audio output driver and sample rate can now be changed.
   Changes take effect on track change.
+ Resonic now creates mini dumps when it crashes.
   You are presented the option to open up your email application
    and send us a bug report to help us fix the bug that caused the crash.

* Advance mode button is highlighted when not playing sequentially

! Fixed occasional line jitter when moving mouse over waveform
Attachment removed, 0.6.2b released
Sorry, but i can't keep up the pace at the moment : where is the new version to downlad ?
This topic seems to be the most recent :?:

[edit] Ok, it's simple : it has all gone live, so everything is available from http://resonic.at/download, and not on the beta forum anymore, that's it ?
;)

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

wshaper wrote:Ok, it's simple : it has all gone live, so everything is available from http://resonic.at/download, and not on the beta forum anymore, that's it ?;)
There'll be pre-releases in the forum, official releases are on the site.

An official version would always be newer than the same-version pre-release in the forum.

The Player Beta forum might become public in the long run - probably when the focus shifts over to the Pro version - but for now it'll definitely stay as it is.

Blackout
Beta Tester

hi Tom,

just had a show-stopper bug in the latest beta. shit went very pear shaped, and is able to be re-created consistently.

drag and drop a file from resonic into Windows Explorer (or Total Commander) with Resonic "Stay on Top" setting on...and the file you are dragging and dropping already in the destination. Windows Explorer locks up, Resonic locks up, only way to remove Resonic from the desktop is a complete reboot of windows. You cant move Resonic or close it with the Task Manager.

one time it didn't crash immediately but when I dragged and dropped further files it was MOVING them instead of copying them. who knows why. but Resonic was already unstable by that point.

Cheers,
Blackout

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Blackout wrote:just had a show-stopper bug in the latest beta. shit went very pear shaped, and is able to be re-created consistently.

drag and drop a file from resonic into Windows Explorer (or Total Commander) with Resonic "Stay on Top" setting on...and the file you are dragging and dropping already in the destination. Windows Explorer locks up, Resonic locks up, only way to remove Resonic from the desktop is a complete reboot of windows. You cant move Resonic or close it with the Task Manager.

one time it didn't crash immediately but when I dragged and dropped further files it was MOVING them instead of copying them. who knows why. but Resonic was already unstable by that point.
Can be re-created, yes, but note that a crash is not a freeze is not what you describe here.

What seems to happen is Explorer shows a "Destination file is the same as source file" window underneath Resonic, since it's staying on top. Now Resonic is waiting for the user to click the "Close" button on the Explorer window underneath it and blocks, while Explorer seems to block too, waiting for input. Resonic doesn't get unstable though. It's an unfortunate order of events, caused by the window staying on top.

The task manager bit I cannot reproduce. I can always open it up or kill Resonic.exe, which in turn reveals the Explorer box. When I close it, all is functional again.

Please try again and let me know if something's really different from what I described here. This would save us a lot of time looking for problems where there are none, except the window underneath, which of course needs some kind of workaround.

Blackout
Beta Tester

ill make you a video Tom. you are literally stuck with the Resonic screen graphics on the monitor (even with the resonic.exe file shut down with task manager)

Blackout
Beta Tester

hi Tom here is a vid to show the problem...hope it helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qblqa45fsl64x ... 6.MOV?dl=0

Cheers,
Blackout.

Martin
I know my Resonics, all of them!
First Name: Martin

That looks just like what we're seeing. Instead of using the 'End Task' button on the 'Applications' tab (which tries to gracefully shutdown the application, which won't work), switch over to 'Processes' to kill the process.

Blackout
Beta Tester

ahh yes Martin. I just tested it now and killing the actual process in the Apps tab does work without having to reboot. Im not sure how many users will figure this out tho. it is an unfortunate combination of events but its not going to be uncommon to copy into a folder that might have the same name for another file (eg Kik1.wav).

its going to rear its ugly head more often than you realize I think.

if you could figure out a way for this particular message to override the "set on top" message and actually go on top of Resonic it would fix the problem...

Cheers,
Blackout

hotelsinus
Yay, I posted something
First Name: Zizics
Artist Handle: Hotelsinus
Primary DAW: Renoise

hm iteresting, my playback and the waveform display is out of sync!
when i click to where the bassrums come in (display) it has no sound after 2-3sec where the crollbar move bassdrum is hear.!
i try lots of music sfx fileformat and get all the same error. Asio and DX soundcard too!

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

It's been a while!

We've been busy with the Pro version and I'll start handing out first private previews next week!

Here's a quick intermediate update for Resonic Player 0.6.2b I originally made as follow-up to this .wav problem report, i.e. you need to use the official release. Just unpack the file to your 0.6.2b install location (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Liqube\Resonic Beta), or portable folder, and overwrite existing files. If all goes well it should start up properly, and the About dialog should say "Build 1406" (instead of 1187).

This build so far contains all changes and fixes coming up in 0.6.3b.

Work in progress:

# This is primarily a bugfix release, but also adds improved drag & drop
   functionality and a rename bookmark feature.

+ Much improved drag & drop support for both browser and file list.
  Supports play, copy, and move operations (the latter are toggled by holding
   down the CTRL and SHIFT keys, respectively).
+ Bookmarks can now be renamed.
   Right click any bookmark in browser and select 'Rename bookmark'.
   To restore its default name enter an empty name.
+ Files can now be dragged and dropped directly into applications that previously
   didn't accept the drop, e.g. Skype, Miranda IM, etc.
  This works for both the file list and the header filename.
+ Window can now be moved by dragging the header bar.
+ 'Turn off monitor' option for sleep timer.
   Right-click the 'zZz' button in the lower right of the application window,
    then go to the sleep type menu and select 'Turn off monitor'.
   This option works for all sleep types that don't turn off the computer,
   for example 'Exit' (and turn off monitor).
+ A-B loops are now taken over to the next file when the 'Maintain position'
   feature is enabled.
  This is useful for listening to/comparing the same region in different files
   or to quickly listen through a whole album.

* Optimized visualizations (waveform, level meter, etc.)
   for slightly less CPU use.
* Improved file drag and drop,
   e.g. a file type icon is shown now where available.
* Updated all Explorer icons

! Volume bar sometimes did not repaint properly
   (reported: S. Panin)
! Splash screen sometimes caused crashes when clicked rapidly
   (reported: A. Ginhoux)
! Browser did not behave as expected during incremental search,
   i.e. during quick-search via letters,
   also ENTER starts folder playback as intended.
   (reported: Shyman)
! Browser did not behave as expected when the header filename is clicked,
   i.e. it did not scroll to the active file's folder.
  Both browser and file list are now synced to the active file.
! Folders that use custom icons no longer appear hidden (transparent icons).
   (reported: ExtremRaym, user of 'Rainbow Folders')
Attachments
201506120057.zip
(3 MiB) Downloaded 13 times

pumafred
Really likes it here

All went well, it started up properly, and the About dialog says "Build 1406" (instead of 1187).

Saludos!

ThomasHelzle
Pro User
First Name: Thomas
Primary DAW: Bitwig Studio

Awesome - nice list :-)
A quick first test ran flawless, nice to have custom icons working even in bookmarks.

One thing that I think could be improved visually is the top of the application:
- The top area of the window-frame only contains "Resonic Beta 0.6.2" - I think it would make sense to show more information there, several audio apps I use do. For instance, the "Stop: Filename.wav 0:00" could be shown up there too, potentially freeing one full line in the GUI.

- I can't explain why, but I would prefer to see the file properties (Hz, Bit, mono...) below the waveform instead of on top (and if the filename etc. can't be shown in the title bar, it could be in the same line below the waveform). This would allow to remove another line from the top area and the waveform could be where it belongs (for me).
Then below it the properties, maybe even as (visual) part of the waveform display (centered?).

- I personally think the logo and name of the application could somehow be either more prominent or reduced - ATM it is somewhere in the middle, neither here nor there IMO, squashed in the right upper corner.
If the nice resonic-logo would be shown as application-icon in the top frame like it is for most apps (right now it looks like something else to me?) that would be taken care of in a reduced way, the name and version is in the window-header already.
If the logo is intended to be more prominent, a new place would need to be found IMO, since where it is right now is rather unattractive to my eye?

Bottom line: The slick GUI of Resonic is spoiled on top a bit for me by those two lines which feel somehow tacked on...

This always bothered me a bit visually, but of course is just my personal view.

Cheers,

Tom

mrfox
Beta Tester

After copying the new files to the default installation folder, resonic can't play any files and displays the following error: "Unsupported file format or corrupted file".

Edit: tried with the portable version. Same happened.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

mrfox, make sure you use 0.6.2b from resonic.at as the base.

mrfox
Beta Tester

Tom wrote:mrfox, make sure you use 0.6.2b from resonic.at as the base.
I do. Double checked to be sure.

mrfox
Beta Tester

Alright, I managed to narrow down the issue.

I tried on a different computer and it works fine. So an idea came to my mind. I switched the audio output from my sound card (Asus Xonar DSX) to a HDMI monitor's sound output and it works, but not with the sound card.

It might be a driver issue on my end, but the 0.6.2b version itself can start playback on the mentioned sound card too.