Suggestions

Your thoughts, comments, ideas, suggestions, criticism
SuperTRev
Getting the hang of it
Resonic: Pro

Suggestions

Hello, some requests:

- Can you add a normalize button and normalize to the batch processing options.
And a target volume too. If I want audio clips to peak at -6dB, I could choose that and it will change the volume to that.

- Can you add a 'trim silence' button.

- Can you add zoom in/out to the sample window.

- Can you add auto slicing. And export by region.

- Can you add selecting regions with Ctrl + arrow keys.

- Can you add a declick in/out, fade in/out and denoise buttons.

- Can you add a render in place, instead of the drag and drop, then delete old file, then rename new one.

- Can you change the stereo icon. Here's an example of Edison's icons.
32 bit stereo:
Edison GUI.png
Edison GUI.png (12.85 KiB) Viewed 662 times
16 bit mono:
Edison GUI 2.png
Edison GUI 2.png (12.14 KiB) Viewed 662 times
- Can you add a move up/down for the bookmarks, instead of them having to be in alphabetical order.

- Can you add icons for the two level meters to show if they are peak or rms. And a clipping button that goes red if it clipped, and stays red until clicked or the sample is changed.

- For the columns can you change the name 'rate' to 'sample rate'. Can you capitalize bpm, or rename it to Tempo.

- Can you let the rating column be set with a click. Instead of 'read only'.

- Can you remove milliseconds from the duration column.

- I have 'Fit To Width' enabled and not a single one of these columns are fit to width:
Fit To Width.png
Fit To Width.png (2.59 KiB) Viewed 662 times
- Can we have column presets by folder. One for music and one for samples. (I don't need 'Artist' on my samples, for example). See Directory Opus 13 for an excellent example of column management.

- Can you add changing of metadata, and batch changing for target folders, instead of read only.
Also an ability to batch clear chosen metadata.

- Can you let the user disable the Windows taskbar playback bar image:
Taskbar Icon.png
Taskbar Icon.png (2.24 KiB) Viewed 662 times
- When drag and dropping onto a target that has processing enabled, can Shift be copy to folder with no processing.
Ctrl would be move. Alt, the user could set up an alternate processing.

- Can you add options to enable/disable Windows context menu items. Could add an option to make 'Resonic' the parent, and have the targets as a submenu. You could right click a file in Windows explorer, and send to a batch target, booting up Resonic and passing the files to the selected targets.

Thank you very much.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Re: Suggestions

For questions I haven't answered see:
https://resonic.at/faq and https://resonic.at/docs
SuperTRev wrote:
April 11th, 2024, 01:41
- Can you add a normalize button and normalize to the batch processing options.
And a target volume too. If I want audio clips to peak at -6dB, I could choose that and it will change the volume to that.
Targets might get additional options in one of the next updates, but at this point it's not full batch processing yet.
- Can you add a 'trim silence' button.
For targets this might become an option, for display too, however, the workflow is a bit unclear at this point as Resonic is not a wave editor and won't become one, it's fully non-destructive so far.
- Can you add auto slicing. And export by region.
That might come in at some point, but I have no immediate plans for this.
- Can you add selecting regions with Ctrl + arrow keys.
Care to explain more? That's the playback frequency change hotkey.
- Can you add a declick in/out, fade in/out and denoise buttons.
I do want fades to become part of this, but there won't be wave editing facillities like denoising. Rather, there'll be a customizable "Open in external editor" feature.
- Can you change the stereo icon. Here's an example of Edison's icons.
I tried a two-block split design for stereo but didn't agree with it visually, might revisit that. As most files are either stereo (square) or mono (small square) the thinking was it keeps the look cleaner. This goes back to the very first Resonic Player Alpha release in 2012.
See: https://resonic.at/docs/file-list#colors
- Can you add a move up/down for the bookmarks, instead of them having to be in alphabetical order.
Noted.
- Can you add icons for the two level meters to show if they are peak or rms.
You have a fast-responding level meter that goes high and a slow-responding one that goes lower. The fast one is peak, the slow one is RMS, it's the same in every audio application.
- And a clipping button that goes red if it clipped, and stays red until clicked or the sample is changed.
There is one but it doesn't stay red as Resonic shows post-decoding peaks in mp3 and other lossy formats (people should learn to lower their audio before encoding to lossy formats like mp3), which means it would stay red all the time while playing back those files.
This is why Resonic clears the overshoot indicator automatically.
- Can you remove milliseconds from the duration column.
Thinking about per-column options in general...
- I have 'Fit To Width' enabled and not a single one of these columns are fit to width:
Only the main column resizes, which for Resonic before 0.9.5 (wip) is the filename coumn.
- Can we have column presets by folder. One for music and one for samples.
There'll be a column layout system in 0.9.5, however not on a per-folder basis. As the auto-tagging engine needs rough categorization into music and samples etc. it makes sense to then use this to also pick a layout automatically.
- Can you let the user disable the Windows taskbar playback bar image:
The progress bar?
- When drag and dropping onto a target that has processing enabled, can Shift be copy to folder with no processing.
Ctrl would be move. Alt, the user could set up an alternate processing.
Ctrl (copy) and shift (move) have pre-defined meanings on Windows and Resonic sticks to them for familiarity, on targets it enforces either copy or move.
Alt could be set up for alternate processing though. Suggestions?
- Can you add options to enable/disable Windows context menu items. Could add an option to make 'Resonic' the parent, and have the targets as a submenu. You could right click a file in Windows explorer, and send to a batch target, booting up Resonic and passing the files to the selected targets.
Writing a shell extension is a very low priority as of now as the right-click on files in Resonic already brings up a list and booting up Resonic up through Windows has its challenges as it.
For example this joke: https://resonic.at/docs/antivirus#guids
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

SuperTRev
Getting the hang of it

Thank you for the reply.
Most of my suggestions is because I compared Resonic with Image Line's Edison. Buying Resonic was meant as a replacement for Edison, because of the browser and batch processing. But I didn't realize that Resonic wasn't meant as an audio editor. It's ok for now, but the normalize and trim silence for target folder processing would make it much better.

For "selecting regions" in Edison you can use Ctrl + arrow keys to select prev/next region. Then you can edit only that region. I've tried out the time markers in Resonic (slice points?), and having an area that has two markers makes it a region. Using the Ctrl modifier doesn't matter, it could be anything, but having a quick way to select different areas would be good. For me I would use it to trim off what I don't want and then save it. Overwriting the audio file. Having a button that saves the edit, overwriting its source would be better than the drag n drop. Could be a button beside drag n drop to have either/or.

That's what the zooming request is for too. In Edison you can zoom in all the way to the sample points so that you can set your marker perfectly.

Yes, the progress bar on the taskbar icon is distracting. Every time I see it my brain keeps telling me something is broken. Not a big deal though.

For a mono/stereo icon, even an M and S would be better. The blocks of colour surrounded by text is out of place. Not a big deal though. It kind of matches the colour of the highlighted row. But would be nice to have alternating shades for the rows.

Also:

- Could we export/import settings, including column setup.

- Could you hide the filename extensions when we enable the 'extension' column.

- Could we rename our target folders, having aliases just for in Resonic.

I've uninstalled Resonic, swept the computer and registry and reinstalled it with the correct options to get rid of the context menu item, but it's still there. I've even used NirSoft's ShellMenuView and ShellEx view to get rid of it, and it's still being stubborn. I have a little pic but can't upload it in a reply.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Re:

SuperTRev wrote:
April 12th, 2024, 19:15
For "selecting regions" in Edison you can use Ctrl + arrow keys to select prev/next region. Then you can edit only that region. I've tried out the time markers in Resonic (slice points?), and having an area that has two markers makes it a region. Using the Ctrl modifier doesn't matter, it could be anything, but having a quick way to select different areas would be good.
Ah yes, I understand.

Here's something about new keyboard shortcuts that should be explained once at least:
The general issue I'm having is that originally there was (intentionally) no input focus on the waveform/viz area which is the default for most software out there. In case of a VST plugin the input focus automatically goes to the main window and the plugin decides from there. In Resonic you have a browser, a file list, other standard elements, and the waveform/viz area. Typically I have to share shortcuts for either browser+waveform or file list+waveform. You can imagine that a lot of common navigation commands are already in use and new shortcuts would require a complete change of direction of the original system which was centered around fast interactions where it was never intended to make Resonic that powerful. Well, that was a long time ago.

The way it is now certain new features require some sort of UI interaction. Usability wise the best I could think of is interaction areas in the waveform itself where maybe a double-click has a different function. For me, double-clicking between two markers to select the area in between is the most natural thing in wave/audio editing, so naturally for me this is a requirement in Resonic. I'll have to think of something, because the actual code to make these things happen is rather simple, it's always the issue of lack of free commands (hotkeys or UI elements) to use.

If you have any ideas for a workarounds for the time being, let me know. I tried a few things but weren't really satisfied and it's hard to settle for one when you're basically affecting the workflow of every Pro user out there with any little change. It has to fit into the concept and leave room for future features. The one I'll probably be trying in the next builds is center-line (center of channel, be it a specific one of all of them) double click to select a region. Of course this leaves the issue of multi-track audio above stereo.
For me I would use it to trim off what I don't want and then save it. Overwriting the audio file. Having a button that saves the edit, overwriting its source would be better than the drag n drop. Could be a button beside drag n drop to have either/or.
I do have two crop buttons, but they crop the selected area to new files. Why not have another crop button (suggestion for different name?) that saves all but the selected area as a compromise?
That's what the zooming request is for too. In Edison you can zoom in all the way to the sample points so that you can set your marker perfectly.
This one's explained here though: https://resonic.at/faq#zoom
Yes, the progress bar on the taskbar icon is distracting. Every time I see it my brain keeps telling me something is broken. Not a big deal though.
You can do that in 0.9.4b:
snap20240412210711.jpg
Could we export/import settings, including column setup.
All your files are in Documents/Resonic (make sure you don't use 0.9.3 anymore, there is a Resonic Cleanup Tool available to get rid of old paths and files and rename things nicely for the 0.9.4+ style).

The column setup is still included in the preferences file.

From 0.9.5 onward there will be a reimagined column system that lets you copy/paste setups in plain human-readable text and share it with other people as well just like that. I will probably start with a naive set of presets that live as individual files on disk to make the handling as easy as possible.

Some hints about that are on the Discord, if only you could join that is.
Could you hide the filename extensions when we enable the 'extension' column.
It used to be like that but it had to be changed for the new column system to make sense.
Use the 'Base Name' column instead. It's the filename without extension.
Could we rename our target folders, having aliases just for in Resonic.
Rename them from within Resonic you mean, or retarget them?
I've uninstalled Resonic, swept the computer and registry and reinstalled it with the correct options to get rid of the context menu item, but it's still there. I've even used NirSoft's ShellMenuView and ShellEx view to get rid of it, and it's still being stubborn. I have a little pic but can't upload it in a reply.
The 0.9.3 setup did not properly uninstall it.
Since 0.9.4 it's very easy to remove, and there is an option to not install it.

I provided a fix for that:
https://resonic.at/files/resonic-registry-cleanup.zip

Make sure you reinstall the latest version after that or repair the installation.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

SuperTRev
Getting the hang of it

Duplicate post; the forum glitched out on me.
Last edited by SuperTRev on April 13th, 2024, 19:40, edited 2 times in total.

SuperTRev
Getting the hang of it

Ya, keyboard shortcuts can be tricky. I've actually been dealing with that very thing for a long time now.
https://youtu.be/2RjCxKOOCog?si=l6W1Ojcskq5dgevv

If nothing is using a particular combination, then it doesn't have to be context aware, it could be global. Ctrl + up/down is taken by prev/next folder, but Ctrl + left/right isn't taken. You could make a hotkey manager for rebinding keys too.

You could keep the Ctrl + arrow keys for seeking by quarters, until the first slice point is added, then it would now be prev/next region (areas, divided by the slice points). Same with the number keys. The context could be whether slice points currently exist or not. If there is one slice point, which created two areas, then #1 is jump to area 1, #2 is jump to area 2 (the play header jumps to the start of the area and that area is selected). With two or more slices, each area enveloped by two markers are now a 'region', that can be processed independently.

For me I would have the right arrow restart playback, left arrow stop, and the spacebar play/pause.
Or have the spacebar play/stop (= return play header to the start of the region, Ctrl + spacebar return to the beginning of the loaded audio clip), and the right arrow would toggle a favorites tag on that audio file.
I would keep Enter for 'open with default app' (or open with file explorer) or make that file send to the active target processing folder. Actually Shift + Enter might be better for that.

If you decide to add zooming, then I would have Ctrl up/down toggle zoom on region, zoom out full. And the Ctrl + left/right arrows for selecting prev/next section. You could have the number keys select regions too. Or use Alt or something, to keep it away from the folders selection.

We already have the mouse wheel for seeking. (I wish it didn't autoplay when stopped though). But I wish the modifier was swapped. Ctrl + mousewheel would change volume, mousewheel by itself would seek. So we don't need Ctrl + arrow keys to seek, as it's already redundant. They could be reserved for regions.

Same with the folder selection. It could be Ctrl + page up/down instead of the arrow keys. Actually Ctrl + Page Up/Down should be prev/next parent folder, and Ctrl + Home/End should be prev/next bookmark.

Your manual says "mouse over time display to seek" is wrong I think, because that still changes the volume.

The thing about regions is clicking on those tiny markers are always a pain. Using the keyboard is much easier. Even better than a double click within an area to select and jump to.

Could you make F1 open a Resonic User Manual pdf? And F2 inline rename, with tab (while in inline rename mode) to apply changes and go-to next file.

Could you make middle mouse button press on the volume bar reset it to default.

The problem with the crop buttons is they are the same thing as the drag and drop extraction. Because it creates a new file. I wish there was another button to 'crop in place'. This crop would overwrite its source file, so we don't have to take the extra step of deleting the old one. The crop button would still be there when we want it, for not deleting the old file.

For the progress bar, I have the newest version from the 'download pro' button.
This version:
Version.png
Version.png (11.89 KiB) Viewed 624 times
But I don't have the 'Taskbar Options':
Options.png

For the context menu I followed your reinstall instructions, with the registry files. It seems to have worked.
My import/export settings request was for this kind of situation, but it remembered my bookmarks and columns somehow, so I'm happy with that.

I was able to join the Discord. Apparently if I log in first with the internet browser, then click the invitation link, Discord is now smart enough to realize it's me who is accepting the invitation.

The 'Base Name Column' is what I was looking for, thank you.

The target folders in Resonic are its output. Which is the same folders as other program's input (source).
So when a program like FL Studio has the target folder in its browser, I can't have it named the same in both programs, or in one of the two programs I'm going to be confused as to what that folder is for.
Target Folder.png
Target Folder.png (1.95 KiB) Viewed 624 times
But I just realized that I can set aliases for my FLS browser folders.
Alias.png
Alias.png (5.3 KiB) Viewed 624 times
So now the same folder is named 'TJ FLS 21' in Resonic and named 'Resonic' in FLS.
Alias 2.png
Alias 2.png (7.13 KiB) Viewed 624 times
So FLS deals with this issue for me, but an alias renaming of target folders would still be good.

Thank you very much.