Resonic as transcription tool

Your thoughts, comments, ideas, suggestions, criticism
MisteryMan
Yay, I posted something

Resonic as transcription tool

Hi
I have found resonic when looking for windows player that helps with transcription of voice recordings.
I LOVE speed and modern look of resonic!!!!!!

I need:
  • waveform preview in order to quickly skip silence periods in recording
  • keyboard shortcuts to move back/forward
  • voice playback at reduced speed e.g.50%
First two features are supported but there is no slow playback , at least in free player, so I cannot use it.I would pay for this feature however full PRO price of 69 euro is too high for me.

One more idea: I am not even sure if it would work: it would be great if waveform could reflect voice recording frequency (?) to help identify voices, background noise etc

Great work!!!
Rafał

Braed
Likes it here
First Name: Brad
Primary DAW: FL Studio

Re: Resonic as transcription tool

I think what you're asking is the equivalent of purchasing a motorbike and then asking for it to have 4 wheels, airconditioning and adjustable seats. Reasonic just isn't what you are asking for lol.

Martin
I know my Resonics, all of them!
First Name: Martin

Actually, both playback speed control and a spectogram are planned features.

Braed
Likes it here
First Name: Brad
Primary DAW: FL Studio

Awesome! I was referring more to the transcription thing :D

Harry
Starting to like this
First Name: Harry
Primary DAW: Cubase
Resonic: Pro + Player

@Braed for transcription you may have a look on Tanscribe! at https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/screenshots.html - very nice tool made exactly for this purpose. It's priced at 39$ and has a free 30day trial. I'm working several years now with this tool and it's nearly perfect for transcription purpose (in my case learning/analyzing music by ear).

At Resonic atm you can change the speed via changing the pitch, but for transcribing that is not desirable. :)
But I look forward for what Resonic may become one day! :)

PS: I hope it is OK to post this here, I think (at least atm) its not really an competitor for Resonic because it has a very special use-case, in which it's nearly perfect, but have other limitations e.g. no file list ... and also it's in a different price range than Resonic Pro.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

MisteryMan wrote: [*]waveform preview in order to quickly skip silence periods in recording
[*]keyboard shortcuts to move back/forward
[*]voice playback at reduced speed e.g.50% [/list]
First two features are supported but there is no slow playback , at least in free player, so I cannot use it.
Hey there! I created new todos for the skip silence shortcuts. Good idea.

Move back/forward? Do you mean seeking, in which case they already exist, or skip silent regions still?

Speed change, as Martin pointed out already, is planned.
One more idea: I am not even sure if it would work: it would be great if waveform could reflect voice recording frequency (?) to help identify voices, background noise etc
That would probably be a spectrogram, other advcanced types of voice analysis are not planned at this point.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Harry wrote:@Braed for transcription you may have a look on Tanscribe! very nice tool made exactly for this purpose. It's priced at 39$ and has a free 30day trial. I'm working several years now with this tool and it's nearly perfect for transcription purpose (in my case learning/analyzing music by ear).

PS: I hope it is OK to post this here, I think (at least atm) its not really an competitor for Resonic because it has a very special use-case, in which it's nearly perfect, but have other limitations e.g. no file list ... and also it's in a different price range than Resonic Pro.
Of course it's okay. Transcribe is a highly specialized and useful tool and was updated with segment analysis as far as I can see, which is pretty much essential for analyzing or understanding music. Resonic does help in many other ways though and could be seen as an extension, seeing that looping is instant and we're planning on adding support for multiple (saveable) loop regions per file in the future.
At Resonic atm you can change the speed via changing the pitch, but for transcribing that is not desirable. :)
Agreed, although the slow down features are already in the works, and using the slow motion analyzer (musical spectrum) the individual played notes are seen for audio content (including key and octave on mouse hover.)
snap170915055436.png
Video: https://resonic.at/temp/slomo_analyzer.mp4
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

Harry
Starting to like this
First Name: Harry
Primary DAW: Cubase
Resonic: Pro + Player

Tom wrote:Resonic does help in many other ways though and could be seen as an extension, seeing that looping is instant and we're planning on adding support for multiple (saveable) loop regions per file in the future.
Yeah that is my thought too and so I'm happy to hear you work on more advanced looping features! :)