Your thoughts, comments, ideas, suggestions, criticism
the3ug3reeder
Getting the hang of it
First Name: Lars
Artist Handle: the3ug3reeder
Primary DAW: Reaper, Bidule, Live

Midi Clips

Hi Tom,
first of all a huge compliment on Resonic Pro.
I love it!

Regarding Midi:
is there a way to drag a midi selection out out of a longer midi clip?
right now the way it seems to work is that if I drag the actual midi file out of Resonic into another app, the midi file appears as midi...
if, on the other hand, I make a selection in the waveform display and drag that into another app, the selection appears in the other app as a rendered audio audio clip...
This is probably cool in some situations though for me it would actually be better if the midi was not rendered.
(the selection should appear as midi when dragged into another app)

Thanks for this awesome piece of software!

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Re: Midi Clips

Glad to hear that :)

Standard MIDI files are always rendered as audio with the built-in synthesizer and sound bank (unless you use a custom .sf2) and also extracted as audio. Extracting portions to new MIDI files is quite a thing to implement, but if there is enough demand for this I'll definitely implement it. If you know of people who might need this, direct them here ok? Right now I have to use my time wisely though, and I am really not sure how much this would get used.

If I may ask, how would you be using this exactly and what kind of files to extract from are you thinking about (format, songs, patterns, etc.)?

If nothing else for now your post had an effect: I picked up the midi file code that's been sitting around here for ages, completed it, and integrated it into the Resonic meta core. There's some testing to be done, but it means one of the next releases (aiming for 0.8.9) will have a nice set of .mid metadata (e.g. duration, copyright, track count, non-empty track count, tempo, average tempo, maybe used instrument count, and if you can think of something that makes sense, let me know).
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

the3ug3reeder
Getting the hang of it
First Name: Lars
Artist Handle: the3ug3reeder
Primary DAW: Reaper, Bidule, Live

That's Ok!
You're right, it's probably just a pet feature for me.

Basically, the way i would use it is an easy method to edit MIDI jams...
I've been using Pianoteq alot recently because it automatically records whatever you play (in standalone).
This is cool because you don't need to think about hitting record... whatever you play just automatically ends up in "recent.mid"

I import "recent.mid" into Reaper, and basically out sections that i like and re-save these as individual midi files.

The tempo and time signature is not important (I think Pianoteq always records at 120 bpm)... I just stretch the clips to fit where I need them.

I agree that this workflow is probably fairly niche;)

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

the3ug3reeder wrote:I've been using Pianoteq alot recently because it automatically records whatever you play (in standalone). This is cool because you don't need to think about hitting record... whatever you play just automatically ends up in "recent.mid"
Ah, makes sense. Pretty useful for keeping all those little idea snippets.
The tempo and time signature is not important (I think Pianoteq always records at 120 bpm)... I just stretch the clips to fit where I need them.
120 is kinda the default tempo, i.e. when there is none defined in the MIDI file.

Either way, the 0.8.9 update will introduce a good set of meta support for MIDI files. And I think that's a useful thing to have working with SMFs :)
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.