Decoding and Exporting (MS, Split Stereo, Quad and Surround)

Your thoughts, comments, ideas, suggestions, criticism
mtornabene
I'll think of more soon
First Name: Michael
Primary DAW: Ableton

Decoding and Exporting (MS, Split Stereo, Quad and Surround)

It's fantastic that Resonic Pro will play QUAD and 5.1 files even if I don't have a surround setup. As I deal with a lot of material from sound libraries which can sometimes be in Quad, Surround or Mid-Side formats I would love a feature where I can decode and export them as Stereo either as a Stereo Mixdown of all channels or an option to discard all other channels but Left and Right. As with Mid Side it would be awesome to have a MS decode button that can be switched on to hear the recording correctly but also an option to export a decoded MS recording to a standard stereo format.

Another feature that I would find really useful is being able to combine two mono files into a single Stereo file easily.

Cheers :)

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Re: Decoding and Exporting (MS, Split Stereo, Quad and Surro

Hey Michael, good to see you here :)

I agree M/S is overdue and that it would be nice to see a more complete monitoring section (in addition to the already existing Mute/Dim). So I thought of a couple of things like Mono (maybe the most important one), M/S Matrix, Mid only, Side only, Solo/Mono/Mute individual channels (L/R/C/..).

But I like the idea to apply the M/S processing (and possibly the rest as well) directly to the output as part of audio extraction to new files. On it! :)

Are you working with lots of split stereo files? I understand it's the default in Pro Tools, maybe Sequoia, but not sure.

Cheers :)
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

mtornabene
I'll think of more soon
First Name: Michael
Primary DAW: Ableton

Re: Decoding and Exporting (MS, Split Stereo, Quad and Surro

No I don't use Pro Tools, but yes it does like to Split files into Channels. It's more encountering a lot of split stereo or split surround tracks as well in sound effects libraries. Sometimes having them split can be handy and sometimes it can be annoying depending on what the job requires, but I don't have a quick tool to just combine files to a stereo WAV when I need it.

All the features you mentioned about M/S processing sound great though, exactly what I was after! :)

Keep up the good work!