Limiter

Your thoughts, comments, ideas, suggestions, criticism
brightonbob
I'll think of more soon

Limiter

Hi

First - thanks for the great sw, getting better each release......

I am using the latest Pro version.

I did try to check but appologies if these have been asked & answered before - I have a few questions/suggestions.

1) Is there a plan to provide or to allow a (VST?) limiter in the audio chain?

2) Some Midi files are not recognised as drums - how can I change Resonic (I dont always want to change the midi file itself) to make it play drums - or, same question for other midi files, would be great to audition a midi file with other instruments.

3) In the File List is there a way to list all files in a Folder showing all files in all its subdirectories?

4) When playing a midi file the visualization is only waveform etc. Is there a way to flip to see the midi data?

5) Any plans to support changing file format (e.g. wav to flac or mp3 etc or 24bit to 16 bit etc). If not, is there a way to integrate 3rd party tools...launch tool from File List etc?

Thanks
BB

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Re: Limiter

brightonbob wrote:First - thanks for the great sw, getting better each release......
:)
1) Is there a plan to provide or to allow a (VST?) limiter in the audio chain?
VST is planned. Here's the thing: VST plugins like to crash their hosts, so a lot of attention needs to go into this, and ideally also into separating the VST itself from the host process. I believe integrating a single-slot VST solution (without all the fancy separation stuff) would be a good thing to start with, simply to not postpone VST support for too long. Some plugins might crash Resonic, but I guess users would rather see usable VST support sooner than to have to wait for it.
2) Some Midi files are not recognised as drums - how can I change Resonic (I dont always want to change the midi file itself) to make it play drums - or, same question for other midi files, would be great to audition a midi file with other instruments.
Drums are a bit tricky, but instruments are doable. However, each track can have a different instrument. So the question would be which track to change, and whether it needs to be remembered after switching files.

I've been collecting various sample files for a while, but if you could zip up a few more .mid files for me to play around with and PM them to me, that would certainly help.
3) In the File List is there a way to list all files in a Folder showing all files in all its subdirectories?
Right-click the folder and choose Scan subfolders, or simply ALT-click it.

I've added it to the shortcuts list here: https://resonic.at/docs/shortcuts#browser-advanced
4) When playing a midi file the visualization is only waveform etc. Is there a way to flip to see the midi data?
It used to show notes for tracker modules (xm, it, s3m, etc.) in the Alpha, but it was lost in the Beta rework. I'm thinking about bringing it back though, using the new meta system. The 0.8.9 update will introduce strong MIDI metadata support, as a start.
5) Any plans to support changing file format (e.g. wav to flac or mp3 etc or 24bit to 16 bit etc). If not, is there a way to integrate 3rd party tools...launch tool from File List etc?
Yep. Probably gonna start with utility functions like split channels or bit depth conversion for WAV files, then continue on to opening an external editor, then external tools.

Maybe later any other kind of integrated conversion. Converting to mp3 is a bit in the grey zone though, not sure about licensing costs, probably have to make the encoder fully optional.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

brightonbob
I'll think of more soon

Hi Tom

Thanks for quick & comprehensive reply.

Replies to your points below:
1) VST - I agree, start simple/small with support for one VST and grow as required. I would choose a limiter or similar to protect equipment and ears. (Some of my Midi files on the ResonicGM generate +14dB)

2) MIDI Files:
a) I will zip and PM you some files this PM - How many were you thinking about?
PS Tried to PM you with a RAR, ZIP and 7z file but got error saying that this file extension is not allowed!
b) Most of my files are single instrument - I just want an ability to e.g. play a file with "General Midi Instrument 17 Drawbar Organ" or selecte drumset etc....each selected from a drop down list?. I guess even better would be to allow me to add mappings for vendor/kit specific kits say EZDrummer or Battery etc.

3) Thanks

4) Sounds good.

5) Great. For MP3 most apps these days just ask where to find library files on PC and point you to a web site if it is not avaialble.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

1) I'll see what I can do about this though, regardless of a limiter.

2) Board didn't like that, but it should work now. Two hands full of files should be fine, a diverse selection of instruments and drums.

5) Yeah, that would be my go to solution, but still in the grey about this.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.