Your thoughts, comments, ideas, suggestions, criticism
Tagirijus
Likes it here
First Name: Manuel
Primary DAW: Reaper
Resonic: Pro

Stop playback on drag

Hey there,

how about an option that the playback will be stopped, if one file or more files will be dragged out of Resonic? I noticed that often time I like a sound and I want to drag it into my DAW, but it still plays and I have to switch back to Resonic to stop it.

It is of course no really big deal, but maybe this little feature would be useful for others and theri workflow as well? :)

Just an idea. Thanks for reading and all the best,
Manu

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Re: Stop playback on drag

Actually, I do believe this to be a really big deal. A whole set of workflow improvements will be delievered as early as 0.9.1, which includes:
- pause, stop, or free, when dragging files out of Resonic
- automatic unpause when playback was paused, but the drop was aborted
- automatically bring other windows to the front while dragging
- optionally minimize Resonic while dragging

Any more suggestions?
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

Tagirijus
Likes it here

Well, your additional planned workflow improvements are already awesome !! Never thought about these additional things, but alreaddy loving to see them in the next releases. I'll think about similar additional things - but I think you already added very nice ideas here. :)

Maybe other users have also some ideas. ;)

Tagirijus
Likes it here

Hey there,

I now tested Resonic Pro 0.9.1b. The following features seem not to work here:

Minimizing Resonic on drag:
Resonic only minimizes on drop, but not on drag. If this is the feature, it could be renamed to "Minimize on drop". Maybe a "minimize on (start) drag" could be implemented as well?

Pausing on drop:
I tested it with FL Studio and with the windows desktop / explorer. When a file is dropped in FL studio, the file still plays in Resonic. If the file is dropped on the desktop or the explorer, the file pauses. I assume that it's ratehr difficult to get information of external programms, if a drop was successful, right? How about the option to "pause on drag"? Also I would find a "stop on drag" quiet usefull.

Just some thoughts. :)

Martin
I know my Resonics, all of them!
First Name: Martin

Resonic only minimizes on drop, but not on drag.
It should minimize on drag, too. You need to stop moving the cursor for about half a second while hovering over the target window.
I tested it with FL Studio and with the windows desktop / explorer. When a file is dropped in FL studio, the file still plays in Resonic.
Looks like FL Studio does not properly report the drag result, so to Resonic it just looks like the drop failed.

Tagirijus
Likes it here

Martin wrote:It should minimize on drag, too. You need to stop moving the cursor for about half a second while hovering over the target window.
It doesn't here. I tried holding the dragged file for some seconds over the desktop and over the explorer window. Resonic stayed open. I tested it with the deskotp and the explorer on the second screen. Maybe this can be a problem?
Martin wrote:Looks like FL Studio does not properly report the drag result, so to Resonic it just looks like the drop failed.
Should I contact the devs of FL then? :?

Martin

It doesn't here. I tried holding the dragged file for some seconds over the desktop and over the explorer window. Resonic stayed open. I tested it with the deskotp and the explorer on the second screen. Maybe this can be a problem?
There's some additional logic at play that's not documented yet. For example, Resonic won't minimize when dragging over a window that is not covering Resonic's own window.
Should I contact the devs of FL then? :?
Might be worth a shot, should be simple to fix on their end. Some technical details:
Their IDropTarget::Drop implementation should set pdwEffect properly, optionally also update CFSTR_PERFORMEDDROPEFFECT in the data object.

Tagirijus
Likes it here

Martin wrote: There's some additional logic at play that's not documented yet. For example, Resonic won't minimize when dragging over a window that is not covering Resonic's own window.
Thanks for this hint. I use a detached playlist from FL Studio. It seems like this is not recognized well by Resonic or by FL regarding this drag and drop events. I found out that it does work well, when I drop the file directly in FL, but not the detached playlist of FL (which is on my second screen by the way). I really asume this is the problem somehow ... I will contact Imageline regarding this issue as well (the devs from FL).
Martin wrote: Might be worth a shot, should be simple to fix on their end. Some technical details:
Their IDropTarget::Drop implementation should set pdwEffect properly, optionally also update CFSTR_PERFORMEDDROPEFFECT in the data object.
Thanks for the detailed info. I will forward this to the devs! :)

By the way: I still would love to see a "minimize immediately on drag start" as well in Resonic. ;)

Martin

Thanks for this hint. I use a detached playlist from FL Studio. It seems like this is not recognized well by Resonic or by FL regarding this drag and drop events. I found out that it does work well, when I drop the file directly in FL, but not the detached playlist of FL (which is on my second screen by the way).
What's your exact setup / window arrangement in this case? Detached playlist on the 2nd screen, but FL's main window on the first window, possibly behind Resonic?
Thanks for the detailed info. I will forward this to the devs! :)
Thanks!
By the way: I still would love to see a "minimize immediately on drag start" as well in Resonic. ;)
That's definitely possible. Here's another tip: When Resonic is maximized, drag a file to any screen edge to minimize the window.

Tagirijus
Likes it here

Martin wrote:What's your exact setup / window arrangement in this case? Detached playlist on the 2nd screen, but FL's main window on the first window, possibly behind Resonic?
FL main: first screen (right)
Playlist: detached, second screen (left)
Resonic: first screen (right)

But I also tested these combinations:
Playlist: not detached, first screen (right)
Resonic: second screen (left)

Playlist: not detached, first screen (right)
Resonic: first screen (right)

In every case the drop into the playlist did not stop the audio.

Martin wrote:Here's another tip: When Resonic is maximized, drag a file to any screen edge to minimize the window.
Interesting tip, thanks! ;)

I posted into the IL forum. Curious what they will say. :)

Martin

In every case the drop into the playlist did not stop the audio.
That's to be expected due to the missing drop result information, I was wondering about the minimize feature only. It's probably not possible to cover each and every conceivable scenario.

Martin

@Tagirijus: Looks like the FL Studio issue might be resolved in 12.9.3 BETA 4

Tagirijus
Likes it here

Wow, thanks for the information. Funny that I looked into their forum some hours ago and did not see the new beta, but now here in this thread I got notificaiton through you, haha. :D