Your thoughts, comments, ideas, suggestions, criticism
Tagirijus
Likes it here
First Name: Manuel
Primary DAW: Reaper
Resonic: Pro

Resonic as a preset manager?

Hey there,

first of all, very important: this is ratehr a really rough idea and maybe not only meant as a real feature request. Maybe someone has even another idea for fixing this workflow issue (which should have many other musicians and sounddesigners as well!). And at the moment I am quite confused that I did not found a software solution in the world wide web.

I also apologize, if this thread is rather something non-suggestion related. Please feel free to move this topic then, mods. Thanks in advance!

The problem:
As a musician or sound designer you probably have a lot of different digital instruments and digital effects. With these tools you most likely have a lot of presets for them as well. Sure, some manufactures already have their own preset system, but some don't. Also if some are good, some others are bad. And most of all: if you have different preset systems and different databases, it gets harder to search for a specific sound or effect.

Some solutions:
I am aware that there is BigTick Zen as an universal preset manager. Unfortunately it is a plugin itself, which I find quite useless. I want to search for either instrument or effect and THEN load a specific sounding preset. Moreover it has (at least here) a buggy online database... and a database which seems to be in its own format.

My personal wish:
There is FX Console for Adobe After Effects, made by Videocopilot. This little preset-alike-thing looks really great and minimalistic. It's a bummer that it's After Effects only.
I would imagine a similar minimalistic tool, with great search and database capability, but with a very basic database structure. Maybe just a folder structure with preset-files, you could just drag into your software, which could handle this file type. And the additional possible tags saved in .ini files, named like the preset file. Maybe even the capability with audio-previews from .mp3 with the same name as the preset file ... or something like this.

Where Resonic Pro might come in:
I really love Resonic already. The workflow, the look, the speed. Everything is already really really great.
Now: is this idea good to have Resonic for preset managing as well? I imagine it simply like this: Maybe Resonic can also list additional filetypes you can setup as preset files-extensions (unfortunately every DAW seems to be different here ... :( ) and get the tags from .ini files, which are stored directly next to the file with the same filename. This way you could have an own folder with preset files and their optional .ini content for showing the tags. And then Resonic could understand them (the .ini format had to be set to a logical structure). Also the user could make their own audio-previews as any audio file and tag them the same as the .ini file, so that the audio files would be listed as well, when specific tags will be searched. This way the user could get two results for a very individual preset search: the audio-preview and the preset, he / she could just drag into the DAW.

So:

1. Is this a good idea for Resonic? Or is it too much for "just an audio miner"? I would understand the last, though. Hehe. :D

2. Does anybody knows a good system / software solution / workflow how I could solve this "problem" I have?

I am really looking forward to replies! :)

All the best,
Manu

Tagirijus
Likes it here

Re: Resonic as a preset manager?

I dreamt of another solution (yes, I have weird dreams), which could be done in Resonic, maybe ...

Maybe it could be possible to enable an option for certain folders or in general and for a specific preset file-format that Resonic will check if there is a second file named like the found audio file, but in the format like set up. I am really not sure, if anybody will understand me at this point. :D

For example: you have a main folder which contains all your audio files for sound design. This stuff is tagged and you can search it with Resonic. So it behaves normal at this point.

But there might be a second main folder next to this audio library, which contains audio files and preset files with the exact name like the audio file, but another file extension of course. Maybe resonic could understand this and handle these audios not as audios like in the other folder (like an audio library), but as a preset system. So if you now drag one of these audio-previews, Resonic would start a drag&drop action for the PRESET file instead. This way one only had to tag the audio-previews, how he would like the preset to be tagged. Con is that you definitely had to have an audio preview for each preset.

Does anybody at least understand this idea, haha? :D

Second question: is this an usable idea for Resonic or too much for "just" an audio miner? I would understand that, of coursse. I am close to see if I could code my own preset management, but I am just a hobby coder. :?

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

I'm soaking this up and will get in touch with your privately.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

Tagirijus
Likes it here

Alright. :)