Equalizer?

Your thoughts, comments, ideas, suggestions, criticism
BabyHuey
My fingers are bleeding
First Name: Huey
Primary DAW: Studio One 3

Equalizer?

A built in EQ would be the one thing to make me abandon my current music player.

A parametric with a couple of movable points, variable q, and adjustable hpf and lpf would be awesome
(please not a graphic eq with pretend sliders uggh)

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Re: Equalizer?

Hey!

Right now there are no immediate plans for an EQ, but it's on the list of things to implement and I agree it would be nice to have, but completely optional, like all DSP in Resonic is, to not meddle with the pure signal flow unless specifically wanted by the user.

Either way a preset slider graphic EQ would be out of question as it does nothing but degrade sound quality on basically all but extremely cheap sound "systems". It would have to be a basic parametric one for sure to make sense with what we're trying to do with Resonic. The whole point of an EQ in a player should be a way to tweak sound for lower class sound systems, or for special cases like night use, which can never be designed in a generic band way.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

A1RO
Starting to like this
First Name: Antoine
Artist Handle: Aone-Records
Primary DAW: Reaper

In Pro version, an EQ might be a tool to experiment with and forge samples, adding a first pass of DSP before sending it to a DAW.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

A1RO wrote:In Pro version, an EQ might be a tool to experiment with and forge samples, adding a first pass of DSP before sending it to a DAW.
Good point, although users might prefer their favorite VST plugins which frankly would also be higher quality.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

A1RO
Starting to like this
First Name: Antoine
Artist Handle: Aone-Records
Primary DAW: Reaper

I agree. Not a must for me, but more like a handy, easy thing to reach.
I will let the OP clarify its use case since I might be going somewhere else.

BabyHuey
My fingers are bleeding

A1RO wrote:...but more like a handy, easy thing to reach.
Exactly this. I am using Resonic for learning songs, so a quick EQ to roll off the high end to emphasize the bass, or a "dialed in" high boost bring out the hi-hats is the type of thing I need.
Even better if the EQ settings could be saved with a button to apply them again.

LopDog
Likes it here

I agree with Tom and A1RO
On this feature. It would be better to manage VST that allows you to use the equalizer of your choice.

What can nevertheless be interesting is to manage snapshots or states mapped on keyboard shortcuts, to be able to switch quickly from one
state has another. It remains to be seen

But for learning songs as you want, imho, for the use you want to do. You will have a better experience on your DAW

BabyHuey
My fingers are bleeding

LopDog wrote:
But for learning songs as you want, imho, for the use you want to do. You will have a better experience on your DAW
I don't think you understand my use case well enough to make suggestions.

What I need:

What you are suggesting:

LopDog
Likes it here

BabyHuey wrote: I don't think you understand my use case well enough to make suggestions.
What I need:

What you are suggesting:
sorry maybe I don't get it, this mean that you need a 5 band graphic eq ?

BabyHuey
My fingers are bleeding

LopDog wrote:sorry maybe I don't get it, this mean that you need a 5 band graphic eq ?
Yes, a built in five band graphic would be more suitable than using a DAW as an mp3 player. Of course a simple parametric would be better.

LopDog
Likes it here

I understand better, it's true that most mp3 players have this option. Given Tom's answer, if this feature is in the list, it will definitely be a parametric equalizer.
Tom wrote:Either way a preset slider graphic EQ would be out of question as it does nothing but degrade sound quality on basically all but extremely cheap sound "systems". It would have to be a basic parametric one for sure to make sense with what we're trying to do with Resonic. The whole point of an EQ in a player should be a way to tweak sound for lower class sound systems, or for special cases like night use, which can never be designed in a generic band way.