Audio File Processing

Your thoughts, comments, ideas, suggestions, criticism
SuperTRev
Getting the hang of it
Resonic: Pro

Audio File Processing

I've sent an email with suggestions a while ago and didn't hear anything back.

My biggest gripe right now is when I want to batch process audio files, I have no choice but to convert to .wav files.
Process.png
Process.png (3.14 KiB) Viewed 123 times
I'm trying to resample a bunch of .mp3's from 48khz to 44.1khz. Without having to convert them to wav.
I have like ten audio programs and in 2024 not a single one of them can batch process audio. Except for Audacity with a user made script.

The reason I spent a hundred bucks on this program is to batch process audio files, and apparently I can't do that.
I wish it would have all available types, Flac, Wav, Mp3, Ogg etc. not just Wav and Raw. And an option not to convert at all (same as input file), but still use the other processing options.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Re: Audio File Processing

SuperTRev wrote:
April 11th, 2024, 01:02
I'm trying to resample a bunch of .mp3's from 48khz to 44.1khz. Without having to convert them to wav.
I have like ten audio programs and in 2024 not a single one of them can batch process audio. Except for Audacity with a user made script.
The reason I spent a hundred bucks on this program is to batch process audio files, and apparently I can't do that.
I wish it would have all available types, Flac, Wav, Mp3, Ogg etc. not just Wav and Raw. And an option not to convert at all (same as input file), but still use the other processing options.
To clear up one thing first:

Resonic never advertised Batch Processing as one of its features, even though the infrastructure somewhat exists. What exists is a feature called Batch Targets (folders with decoding and resampling features) are detailed on this page: https://resonic.at/docs/targets
snap20240411204308.jpg
Of course with low or no demand there is no point in implementing features, hence a the bottom of the page I ask people to make suggestions. Not many have responded to this so far.

About your mp3s:

There is no such thing as really resampling a lossy file format. What you're effectively doing is destroying sound quality by recompressing them. Unless there is a very particular reason (like a weird player it's for that cannot handle 48k) for going to 44.1k from 48k I suggest not doing it. You'll lose way, way more quality by recompression than by just resampling during playback.

That much being said, now that mp3 is patent-free (which means I can write mp3s without additional fees legally) I am considering adding additional output file formats (possibly mp3, ogg, flac, wv) to Resonic batch targets.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

SuperTRev
Getting the hang of it

You're right about the bad decision to try and convert from mp3 to wav.
I've decided to acquire wav files instead of mp3's from the source instead of convert them.